To manage a 12,500 hectare unique ecosystem is not something that the government can do alone, though it has the sole responsibility of managing this Ramsar site. So SCOPE is an active stakeholder that engages in providing livelihood support to the marginalised communities of this area, belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
Managing a peri-urban wetland so close to the city of Kolkata cannot be done through an encroachment management framework alone. If the wetland has to remain, its utilitarian character must be preserved, and that can be done only through a productivity enhancement framework. This is what we try to do.
Broadly speaking, the main activities that we support are:
- For fisheries – organising fish feed, fish fingerlings
- For agriculture – supplying high quality seeds along with handholding support
- For animal husbandry – organising good quality poultry on demand, along with technical training
- For afforestation – planting fruit trees through school children, who will then be trained to take care of trees.
- For awareness generation – we are keen to build a small, compact museum and make some small films on the wetlands. One film that we have already made is pasted below:
We invite you to be part of our exciting work, to support us and help us conserve this unique ecosystem found nowhere else in the world. Do donate and do your bit for conservation!
Our details are:
Name of Organisation: Society for Creative Opportunities and Participatory Ecosystems
Bank – Punjab National Bank, Dhakuria branch
A/c no – 0089010292016
IFSC code – PUNB0008920
The short form of the organisation is SCOPE, but a donor cannot use the short form to pay at the bank, whether physically or digitally. The organisation has not yet got permission to offer income tax relief u/s 80G – that will take a bit more time.
We also do not have permission for FCRA so we cannot receive donations in foreign currency.
If you should like to donate to SCOPE, kindly remember one request. For its audit purposes the organisation has to keep correct record of donations received and who donates to SCOPE. Therefore, when you pay, there will be an item titled Purpose of payment – please write Donation by INDIVIDUAL FULL NAME/ ORGANISATION FULL NAME. This will help us maintain our accounts correctly.