- Activity – Additional livelihood option to improve income generation
- Focus on additional income generation through scientific rearing of backyard poultry, ducks, quail, turkey, or scientific rearing of pigs
- Organising of regular trainings for tribal villagers in the villages of the EKW in collaboration with Sasya Shyamala Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK), Arapaanch, Sonarpur
- Arranging for supply of poultry from KVK and backing up with fodder and medicine supply
- Vaccinating and monitoring the growth of poultry and disease management
Agriculture is an important activity of intervention in these difficult Covid times and it involves mainly the Scheduled Tribe component of the wetland community. In addition, the severe cyclonic storm Amphan had a debilitating impact on an already struggling population whose food security was in jeopardy. In order to support the agricultural requirements of the wetland community, we distributed High Yielding Variety paddy seeds among villagers to tide over the immediate losses suffered due to the current crisis.
We extended support to fish cultivators of small ponds during the Covid crisis, extending them support to buy fish fingerlings and fish feed medicines as required. The help was very modest, considering the scale of fish cultivation in the wetlands. Yet, our help was deemed crucial by those who benefit from it.